Stain Applicators

*We may earn a commission for purchases made using our links. Please see our disclosure to learn more.

Stain applicators are tools or devices used to apply various types of stains, finishes, paints, or coatings to wood surfaces. These applicators come in different forms, each designed for specific tasks and preferences.

Types of Stain Applicators 

Here are several types of stain applicators for various tasks, projects, and applications:

Bates-Deck Stain Brush
Bates-Deck Stain Brush (Amazon’s Choice)
  • Brushes: Brushes are versatile and are suitable for a variety of surfaces. They also come in different bristle types (natural or synthetic) and sizes.
  • Rollers: Paint rollers are excellent for covering large, flat surfaces quickly and evenly.
  • Sprayers: These variants use compressed air to apply stains. Sprayers are great for large projects, but they require more careful setup and cleanup.
  • Pads: Stain pads are suitable for applying stains to flat or contoured surfaces. They have an absorbent material that distributes the stain evenly.
  • Sponges: Staining sponges or foam applicators are also suitable for precise staining on both flat and contoured surfaces. They are great for small, detailed projects. 
  • Cloth or Rags: Cloths and rags are useful for hand-rubbed finishes, which can create a unique look. However, they may leave behind lint or streaks.
  • Stain Applicator Mitts or Gloves: These are similar to cloth and are great for hand staining, while keeping hands clean throughout the process.
  • Staging Applicator Bottles: These are squeeze bottles designed for applying small amounts of stain precisely. They are suitable for touch-up work or detail staining. 

Choosing a Stain Applicator

When shopping for stain applicators, consider factors such as project type, surface of the workpiece, the type of stain or finish, and personal preferences.

For example, brushes and rollers are great for larger projects, while pads, sponges, and cloth are reliable for smaller, more detailed work. Furthermore, it is important to understand the different types of stain or finish (oil-based, water-based, gel stain, etc.), since they play a major role in the procedure as well.

Wagner Spraytech 529015 stain applicator
Wagner Spraytech 529015 (Amazon’s Choice)
Avatar photo

John Friedenbach

My initial goal, to provide a selection of tools, education and plans to the Beginning to Advance Woodworker has not changed. I continue to search the web to find new products and services. To bring those products and services to your attention.

More to Explore

Tape Measures

A tape measure is a flexible ruler used to measure distance or length.

Center Finder

A center finder is a tool or device used to locate the exact center of a circular or cylindrical object.

Bowl Sander

A bowl sander is a tool used for sanding concave or curved wooden surfaces.